The PICA for each location that is operating as a sale yard that deals with NAIT animals is required to register as a PICA Sale Yard in the NAIT system and get a NAIT number for each location.
The PICA is responsible for:
- Providing and maintaining the PICA contact details
- Providing and maintaining NAIT number details for each location
- Providing movement information for each animal received
- Providing movement information for each animal sent off the sale yard
As an organisation that handles NAIT animals, Sale Yard organisations have the option to become accredited as an entity dealing with animals under section 20 with the NAIT organisation. Some benefits of becoming accredited with NAIT include:
- The ability to record movements on behalf of your clients
- Nominate an organisation administrator who is able to manage the PICA and PICA delegate accounts and organisation details held in NAIT
- The ability to manage and build systems to meet the animal movement reporting obligations on behalf of separate trading locations
The Accreditation Standard sets out information that must be provided including accurate location details, number of clients, estimated numbers of animals handled, responsibility for submission of NAIT data and requirements for accurate and timely data submission and people capability to deliver this.
Learn more about the application process here.
The PICA can allow other delegates access to their NAIT account and perform NAIT movement transactions on their behalf by assigning them as delegates. The ultimate responsibility to ensure all NAIT activities are recorded remains with the PICA Sale Yard.