If you are a person in charge of NAIT animals (cattle or deer), you must register with NAIT as a PICA - even if you have only one animal. As a PICA you must also register the locations you manage where NAIT animals are kept. Each location will be assigned a unique NAIT number.
See below for guidelines on how to use the NAIT system to register as a PICA and register a NAIT location.
Click here to register online.
How to register as a PICA farmer
1. First, you will need to choose a username and password.
You will use these credentials whenever you need to log on to access your online account.
2. Next, please provide your personal details and contact information.
Physical / Postal Address - Please note that at this stage of your registration we are requesting information about you, not your farm. Your physical and postal address may be different to the address of your farm.
Phone numbers - Please provide at least one phone number. You must select a preferred number.
Email Details - You must provide an email address. If you do not have one, please call the OSPRI contact centre to register on 0800 482 463.
Select the email notifications that will be sent to you from the NAIT system. Email notifications can help you to ensure you are meeting your obligations under the NAIT scheme.
3. Click ‘+ Add New’ to register a NAIT number.
A NAIT number represents a NAIT location, i.e. a place where cattle or deer are kept. To register a NAIT number, we need to know the physical location (or locations) it represents.
Location Type – Select the location type that best describes the location you are registering.
Search for your farm – Enter the primary address for your farm/location. This will be the primary address stored for your NAIT number. Once your NAIT number registration is complete, your farm address cannot be updated without permission from NAIT.
If you can’t find your address, you can enter it manually.
Once you have entered your address, a map will appear.
Add Parcels – Click ‘Add parcels’ to begin selecting the land parcels that make up your NAIT location.
- To search for additional land parcels that are not in view, you can click and drag the map, or use the ‘search for address’ field in the top right corner of the map.
- To use one NAIT number for all your farms, all must be within or on the edge of a circle with a 10km radius. This is depicted on the map by a brown circle; the central point of the circle will move depending on the land parcels selected. If a selected parcel does not adhere to this rule, it will show as invalid. If you have attempted to select a parcel that is invalid, you will need to deselect the parcel and create an additional NAIT number once you have saved the first.
It is best practice that farms managed separately are registered with separate NAIT numbers. This way we can better trace and contain any disease outbreaks that may occur.
To deselect a land parcel, click it again or use the delete key on your keyboard to remove land parcels in the order you added them.
4. Click ‘Continue’.
You will need to provide some more details about the location you are registering:
Property Name - The property name is used as a personal identifier for this location. It is visible to NAIT users alongside the NAIT number. Other NAIT users can search via your property name to find your NAIT number.
Industry Codes - If you have an existing participant code, TBfree herd number or dairy supply number for a herd at this location, you can enter it here.
Production / Enterprise Type - Select the appropriate production and enterprise types for this location. If you are a cattle farmer, the primary production type is used to determine which TBfree slaughter levy will be charged in the event that an animal is moved from your location to a meat processor without a NAIT tag.
Animals on your property – You will need to record the number of tagged and untagged NAIT animals on your property.
Please also provide the number of other species at this location.
Fallow deer and trophy deer are exempt from NAIT tagging requirements.
If you have fallow or trophy deer on your property you must record the number of each type in the fields displayed. These fields must be updated annually.
Delegates – You can assign a delegate to assist you with your NAIT obligations. If the delegate is not yet registered, you can register them once your NAIT number registration is complete. Click here for details.
Information provider - You can assign an accredited information provider to assist you with your NAIT obligations. Click ‘+ Add New’ to locate a list of information providers. You must enter into a contract with an information provider to allow them to act on your behalf. Click here for more information.
5. Click ‘Continue’.
If you have not yet registered your herd with TBfree, you can tick the box to register for both programmes. You will be notified of your herd number within 2 business days.
For more information about the TBfree programme, and your requirements please visit here
6. Click ‘Register’
Your NAIT registration is complete.
Once you have tagged your animals, you will need to register these animals in the NAIT system within one week of tagging or before they move off farm, whichever comes first. Registering individual animals links their unique RFID to your NAIT number as their current location and you as the PICA. This is essential for traceability of the animal.
To register animals in the NAIT system you will need to know the following information:
- The individual RFID tag numbers that you have used to tag your animals
- Animal type (cattle or deer)
- The animals production type
- Animal birth date*
- The NAIT number of birthplace*
*There is an option to select “Unknown” for birth date and birth place however this will disqualify the animal from having lifetime traceability.
To register your animals follow the below steps:
- Log into the NAIT system
- Select “Register animals” from your NAIT home page
- Select “Enter animal details” and choose which of the below 3 options suits you best to enter the NAIT RFID tag numbers for the animals you are registering.
Option 1: Select tags from your list of unused tags
When you purchase NAIT approved RFID tags you will be asked to provide your NAIT number. This ensures that the tags you purchase are linked to your NAIT account automatically. Once the tags have been uploaded, they will be visible to your from your unused tags page.
To learn more about ordering NAIT tags, click here.
From this page you will have the option to select the tag numbers you wish to use to register your animals. Use the filtering and search options as required to find the tags used and select them by clicking on the check box to the right of the tag number.
Once you have selected your tags, select “Continue” at the bottom of the page
Option 2: Type in the tag numbers manually
If you are only registering a few animals you can type in the RFID or visual ID into a free text box. If you are entering multiple tag numbers be sure to separate them with a comma, semicolon or new line. There is a help box to the right of the page that shows you how to format the tag numbers. Once you have finished entering the tag numbers, select “Continue” at the bottom of the page.
Option 3: Upload a CSV file containing the tag numbers
If you have scanned the animals or have a list of the tag numbers you have used saved on your computer you can upload this into the NAIT system to tell us which tags have been used on animals. Click here to see how to format a tag file before uploading it into the NAIT system.
Once you have uploaded the correctly formatted tag file, you will be taken to the next step of the animal registration process.
Once you have entered the tag numbers using one of the 3 methods explained above you will be taken to the animals’ details page. This is where you enter the specific characteristics for the animals you are registering. If you have entered multiple tag numbers, the details you provide will be applied to all animals.
Fill in the animal details page and answer all mandatory questions, then select “Register”.
Another way to register your animals is by uploading a .CSV file that contains all the animal details.
This method allows you to enter details for up to 1500 animals at once. The details for each animal will all be on one row and it contains both the tag number and animal details steps in one upload. Click here to learn more about using a .CSV file to enter information into the NAIT system and download a template.
If you have fallow or trophy deer on your property, you are required to keep NAIT updated on how many of these animals you have.
To update this tally, follow the below instructions:
- Log into your NAIT account
- Select “Manage NAIT Activities”
- Select “View/Update NAIT number registration details”
- Under “Farm Details” select “Change”
- At the bottom of the page you can enter how many NAIT animals (cattle or deer) are on your farm and not tagged with a NAIT RFID tag for the current year.
- Enter the total number of deer in the box, you will then be prompted to enter how many of this total are fallow or trophy deer.
- Once you have entered your totals, select “Continue” at the bottom of the page.
Whenever an animal moves on or off your farm, you will need to record this movement in the NAIT system.
To record a movement in the NAIT system you will need to know the following
- Your NAIT number
- The NAIT number of the sender or receiver
- The date the animals moved
- The individual RFID tag numbers of the animals that have moved
To create a movement from your home page follow the below steps:
- Log into your NAIT account
- From your home page, select “Create Movement”
- Select if you are creating a sending or receiving movement
- Enter the other NAIT number and the date that the movement took place
- Select Continue
- Enter the RFID numbers using one of the following methods:
Option 1: Select the animals from your list of registered animals
If you are the sending PICA, you can select the animals you are sending directly from your registered animals list. Choose “Select from a list of animals registered to your NAIT number”. You will be shown your registered animals list. You can use the search and filtering options to select the animals you are sending, once you have made your selection click “Continue” at the bottom of the page and then “Create Movement”. You will then be shown a summary of the movement you have recorded. You have completed your obligations for this movement and it is now pending confirmation by the receiver.
You can also create a sending movement from your registered animals page directly. From your home page click on your NAIT number to be taken to your registered animals list, use the filter and search options to select the individual animals you are sending and then select “Create movement” and then “Sending movement” and follow the steps to create a sending movement.
Option 2: Type in the tag details
If you are the receiving PICA or if the animals you are sending are not in your registered animals list yet, you can type in the RFID numbers manually. This is ideal when moving a smaller number of animals. Select “Type in visual ID or RFID”, you will be shown a text box where you can enter the RFID tag numbers. Use the guidelines found on the right hand side of this page for direction on formatting. Once you have finished entering the tag numbers, select “Continue” at the bottom of the page and then “Create Movement”. You will then be shown a summary of the movement you have recorded. You have completed your obligations for this movement and it is now pending confirmation by the other PICA.
- Upload a file with the tag numbers
If you have scanned the animals or have a file saved on your computer that contains the RFID numbers of the animals in the movement you may choose to upload the RFID numbers into NAIT directly. This is an ideal solution for larger movements where it is not easy to manually type or select each RFID number individually.
To do this, select “Upload a file with tag numbers” and select a file from your computer to be uploaded. The file must be in the correct format for it to be accepted by the NAIT system.
Click here to see how to format a tag file before uploading it into the NAIT system.
Once you have uploaded your file, select “Create Movement”. You will then be shown a summary of the movement you have recorded. You have completed your obligations for this movement and it is now pending confirmation by the other PICA.
Another way create a movement is by uploading a .CSV file that contains all the movement details in the one file.
This method allows you to enter details for up to 1500 animals at once. Click here to learn more about using a .CSV file to enter information into the NAIT system and download a template.
It is important to keep your registered animals up to date as things change on your farm. If your animal dies on farm or if its production type changes, you will need to update the animal to reflect this. You have the option to update your animal’s attributes at any time in the NAIT system.
To update an animals’ details in the NAIT system follow the below steps:
- Log into your NAIT account
- Select the NAIT number that the animal is currently registered to, this will take you to your registered animals page
- Use the filter and search functions if necessary to find the animal(s) you wish to update and select them using the check boxes on the left of the tag number. Any changes you make in the below steps will be applied to all selected animals.
- Once you have selected all animals you wish to update select “Edit Selected Animal(s)” located just above your registered animals list.
- If you want to make a change to the animals attributes (e.g. production type, gender, DOB etc) select “Edit animal(s) details” and make your changes before selecting “Save” at the bottom of the page.
- If you are updating your animal(s) because they have died, select “Record animal(s) as dead” and answer the questions before selecting “Save” at the bottom of the page.
- If you are updating an animal because it has gone missing, select “Record animal(s) as missing” and answer the questions before selecting “Save” at the bottom of the page.
- If you are updating an animal because it has been exported* select “Record animal(s) as exported” and answer the questions before selecting “Save” at the bottom of the page.
*Animals should only be updated as exported once they are at the port to leave the country. If your animals eventually are exported but your NAIT number is not an animal exporting facility you do not need to update the animal as exported, simply record a movement to the NAIT number of the exporting facility.
Since August 2016, the TB levy charged per animal at slaughter has been determined by the animal production type recorded in the NAIT system. The TB levy rates take into account the different financial contributions to the TBfree programme intended to be made over the life of the plan by the dairy and beef industries. To ensure you pay the correct levy rate, you may need to change the production type for animals registered to your NAIT number. To do this, follow these steps.
1. Log in to your NAIT account
and click on your ‘registered animals’ link.
2. Use the filter and search functions to find the animals
you wish to update. To find animals to update from dairy to beef, filter by production type ‘dairy’.
3. Tick the box next to each animal you want to update.
The assigned production type will be displayed for each animal on the right-hand side.
Click ‘Edit Selected Animal(s)’ then ‘Update Animal Details’.
4. Change the production type by selecting the
appropriate production type from the dropdown menu. The update will apply to all of the animals you selected in Step 3. Click ‘Save and update’ at the bottom of the page.
UPDATING ANIMALS RECEIVED
To update the production type of animals moved onto your property, at the time
of confirming the receiving movement you can show a list of the animals confirmed.
1. After you have confirmed a receiving movement,
click ‘Show these animals’ at the top of the page.
2. Tick the box next to each animal you want to update
To select all click ‘select’, then ‘all’ from the dropdown menu.
Click ‘Edit Selected Animal(s)’ then ‘Update Animal Details’.
3. Change the production type by selecting the
appropriate production type from the dropdown menu.
The update will apply to all of the animals you selected in Step 2.
Click ‘Save and update’ at the bottom of the page.
If you use a scanner to read your NAIT RFID tags, it can save a lot of time if you simply upload these tag files into the NAIT system to perform actions such as animal registration or recording a movement.
Often the file that is produced from scanning the animals is not formatted correctly for the NAIT system to be able to recognize it. If you are uploading just a list of RFID numbers, the file should only contain those RFID numbers and no other content.
To upload a tag file, the file must be in .CSV format and contain only the RFID numbers. This means no headings or other columns. See the below for an example of a correctly formatted tag file:
A common format that is returned when using scanner software includes excess columns and headers, these will need to be deleted if you are choosing to upload a tag number file.
Below is an example of an incorrectly formatted tag number file:
Once the file contains only the RFID numbers and is in .CSV format, it is compatible with the NAIT system and is ready to be uploaded as a tag file.
Please note, this format is only for entering RFID tag numbers into the NAIT system, it can not perform any other actions like the other .CSV files can. These files require more information and are set out differently. Click here to learn more about the other .CSV file options available to be loaded into the NAIT system.
As a PICA farmer, you have the option to nominate one or more Information Provider to perform NAIT functions and duties on your behalf.
All information provider organisations have been accredited with the NAIT organisation and trained in the NAIT system to ensure their ability to perform NAIT tasks for you.
Click here to see a list of already accredited Information providers.
You will have your own agreements with these organisations around what they can and cannot do in the NAIT system on your behalf, and you will need to give them access to your NAIT account by creating an information provider relationship for your NAIT number.
You can create an information provider relationship in one of two ways;
- Via direct logon to your NAIT account.
- Calling the OSPRI contact centre on 0800 482 463 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adding or removing an information provider
To manage information provider access to your NAIT account follow the below steps:
- Log into your NAIT account.
- Click on the NAIT number you want to manage.
- Navigate to the ‘NAIT number details’ tab.
- You will see a list of IPs under the “Information providers” heading that will have access to your NAIT account.
- To add a new information provider: Select “+ Add New” and search for the information provider organisation from the drop-down list. Select “Continue” once you have found the organisation name. Confirm that you would like to give this organization access to your NAIT number.
- To remove an information provider: Select the “Remove” option on the right of their name and confirm that you want to remove them as an information provider. Once this is complete, they will no longer have access to your NAIT number.
If the person you are assigning as a delegate is already registered in NAIT, you can assign them to your NAIT number.
If the person you are assigning as a delegate is not yet registered in NAIT, you can register the user on their behalf and assign them to your NAIT number. You will need to know their name, date of birth and contact information.
Assign a registered user as a delegate
1. Click on the NAIT number that you want to add the delegate to.
2. Select 'NAIT number details' in the left-hand column, and then '+ add new’
3. Enter two or more pieces of information to locate the person you want to assign as a PICA delegate and click 'search'. They will only be found if they have already registered with NAIT.
Click 'assign' next to the correct person.
4. If the delegation is for a specific period of time, you can enter an end date in the delegation expiry box.
You can also select whether or not you would like this delegate to receive action required movement notification emails for the NAIT number.
5. Click 'continue' to assign this PICA delegate.
Register and assign a user as a delegate
You must only register a delegate user that has authorised you to register them on their behalf.
1. On your PICA home page, click ‘Register User’
2. Select the account role:
Delegate – Will have access to your contact information as well as your animal, movement, and location details.
Limited Delegations – Will not have access to your contact information.
3. Enter a username and password for the person you are registering, they will be prompted to update their password when they log on.
4. Provide the delegates name, date of birth and contact information.
5. Select the NAIT number(s) you would like them to have access to.
6. Click ‘Register’
- From your NAIT system home screen, click on the NAIT number the delegate is assigned to.
- Click on 'NAIT number details' in the left-hand column.
- Click on 'edit' or 'remove' next to the delegate
The Registered Animals tab for your NAIT number displays a list of animals currently registered at, or moved onto, your location.
If you have a large number of animals, you can locate a specific animal or group of animals using the ‘Search for Animal Details’ functionality displayed on the page.
The search tools will only return animals that are currently registered at your NAIT number. It will not include animals recorded in a receiving movement onto your NAIT number that has not been confirmed by the sending PICA.
Note: This search functionality can also be used when recording a sending movement, when using the ‘selecting from a list of animals registered to your NAIT number’ option.
There are various ways to search for an animal:
- The Quick find allows you to enter a full or partial NAIT RFID or visual tag number and will return any animals registered to your location that involve the numbers/letters entered. For example, to quickly locate animal ABCD-15-123 you could search 123 in the quick find, noting that this would also return tag 982 000123456789 for example.
- The NAIT visual ID or RFID field requires complete RFID or visual ID tag numbers separated by a comma or new line. Click here for information on how visual IDs should be entered into the system. Alternatively, if you have scanned the tags, you can upload a file of RFID numbers. If you have assigned an animal an ‘other visual identifier’ you can search for the animal by searching the other visual identifier in this box.
- If you don’t know the specific RFID or visual ID tags you are looking for, or want to locate a specific group of animals, you can use the search and filter tools to narrow down your list. These include filtering by animal type, gender, status and production type, tag visual ID and extends to the fields under more search options explained below.
The Tag Visual ID search allows you to narrow down your search for animals with specific birth tag sequence range.
Click More search options to search for a group of animals with a recorded Birth Date or Registration Date within a specific date range.
To locate animals recorded as dead at your location, you can also search for animals with a recorded Death Date within a specific date range - note that you must also make sure the animal status search field is set to ‘dead’ or ‘all’ to display results here.
To locate a specific group of animals moved onto your NAIT number you can enter the date range of the Last Movement. You can also enter the Sending NAIT Number to identify only animals moved from a specific location.
You can use any of the search and filter tools and more search options in combination to get a result. For example, to locate animals received from one specific NAIT number in 2017 that you have since recorded as ‘dead’ you would enter:
- Status = Dead
- Last Movement = 01/01/2017 – 31/12/2017
- Sending NAIT number = xxxxxx.
Note: The search and filter tools will only return animals that have been registered with (or updated to include) the information you are searching for. This means if an animal has not been assigned a date of birth for example, it will not be returned in the search results if the Birth Date range is specified.
To include animals recorded in a sending movement from your NAIT number check the tick box at the bottom of the page. This will ensure that any search results will also display animals you have recorded in a sending movement from your NAIT number that have not yet been confirmed by the receiving PICA. If required, you can use this tool to locate animals to update as dead or lost in transit
How to withhold your name from movements and search results.
1. Log into your NAIT account
2. From your home page click ‘Edit my details’
3. Under ‘Personal Details’, change ‘Withhold personal information?’ to ‘Yes’
4. Click ‘Save’
How to change your property name
1. Log into your NAIT account
2. From your home page click ‘Manage NAIT Activities’
3. Then click ‘View/Update NAIT Number Registration Details’
4. In the ‘Location Details’ panel click ‘Change’
5. This will take you to a map of your farm. Click ‘Continue’