December 2018 Edition
NEED HELP WITH YOUR NAIT ACCOUNT?
Canterbury drystock farmer Katy Iremonger is a frequent NAIT online user and discusses her role as a NAIT delegate for multiple farm locations, read her story here.
Need help with your NAIT obligations? Call OSPRI on 0800 482 463 and they can help you find a suitable delegate or information provider.
HEADING FOR A TBFREE FUTURE
OSPRI chair Barry Harris discusses the three fundamental planks of the TBfree programme in a recent Farmers Weekly edition and progress of the eradication strategy, where infected herds have dropped from 1700 to just 35 this year.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND OSPRI’S PROGRAMMES
OSPRI relies on a solid network of Research and Development partners to design its disease management programmes. Our compelling three-year R&D strategy is outlined here.
GRAZING ANIMALS? RECORD ALL MOVEMENTS
If your grazing block/s are registered as another NAIT location and out with a 10km radius of your farm, you will have to record all livestock movements within 48 hours, whether you are the sender or receiver. However, if the grazing block or other property is within a 10km radius and registered as the same NAIT location you do not need to record movements. For more information on recording and confirming movements in NAIT.
AFTER A 1080 DROP
Once a TBfree possum control aerial operation is done, there’s still work to do before warning signs can be removed.
SELLING CALVES THIS MONTH?
It’s a busy time of the year for calf sales throughout the country. Here are some tips to ensure effective traceability and biosecurity practice.
- Always ensure they are correctly tagged and registered in your account.
- Check the purchaser’s NAIT number to create a NAIT movement.
- If sending animals to a NAIT accredited saleyard, they can complete the NAIT movement on your behalf.
- For private sales or saleyard transactions, the PICA receiving the animals needs to confirm the movement in their NAIT account.
- Remember all stock movements require you to fully complete an ASD form.
- Farmers in movement control areas (MCAs), please ensure you have completed TB testing of all animals over 3 months of age within 60 days of the animals moving.
- Check if you are in an MCA or book a pre-movement test, call 0800 482 436.
NAIT MPI CONSULATION GET INVOLVED
If you are interested in making a submission on MPI’s proposed changes to NAIT, remember it closes on December 19. To get involved or for more information, click here.